The Coffee Shop is an open thread-style discussion forum for human interest news of the day.
There are several hosts, each host being responsible for picking a “theme of the day” and starting the discussion. But in an open thread, there’s no hard and fast rule about staying on topic, especially if you have a personal story burning a hole in your pocket trying to escape.
Pictures and videos are welcome in the comments. If photos are used, please be sure you own the copyright. We would rather see your personal photos anyway, instead of random stuff copied from the internet. Our only request is that if you use pictures or videos, take pity on those who don’t have broadband, and don’t post more than two or three in a single comment.
This is an Open Thread. Grab your cup, pull up a chair, sit a spell and share what’s on your mind today.
Tuesday, June 21, 2016 is:
Go Skate Day
International Yoga Day
Bolivia – Aymara New Year Day
Canada – National Aboriginal Day
Congo Democratic Republic – Music Festival
Greenland – National Day
Togo – Day of the Martyrs
Uganda – Father’s Day
On this day in U.S. History:
- 1768 – 1st US bachelor of medicine degree (Dr John Archer)
- 1834 – Cyrus McCormick patents the reaping machine
- 1877 – The Molly Maguires, 10 Irish immigrants, hanged in Pennsylvania
- 1893 – 1st Ferris wheel premieres (Chicago’s Columbian Exposition)
- 1945 – US defeats Japanese forces on Okinawa during WW II
- 1989 – Supreme Court upholds burning US flag as a political expression
- 2001 – Artist Frida Kahlo,1st Hispanic woman honored on US postage stamp