“Concrete Angel”: Martina McBride’s Powerful Song about Child Abuse (VIDEO)

Martina_McBride_Concrete_singleSubmitted by Elaine Magliaro

The subject of corporal punishment is a hot topic in the news at the moment because of the indictment of Minnesota Vikings superstar Adrian Peterson for child abuse. On Saturday, the Associated Press reported that Peterson “was booked and released from a Texas jail on a child abuse charge early Saturday. Peterson was processed at the Montgomery County jail and released on $15,000 bond.”

Some people have come to Peterson’s defense. Many other people, however, were appalled when they saw pictures of the cuts and bruises left on the thighs, hands, buttocks, and lower back of Peterson’s four-year-old son after the football star had beaten him with a switch.

Click here to see photos of Peterson’s son’s body after the beating..

I can’t imagine how anyone could defend what this NFL star did to his young son. I certainly think what Peterson did to his child went way beyond a spanking. I believe it was definitely child abuse. Unfortunately, far too many children are physically abused and neglected every day in our country. It’s a national tragedy.

The first time I saw Martina McBride’s powerful music video Concrete Angel  was at a children’s literature festival in Keene, New Hampshire. It brought tears to my eyes then. It does every time I watch it.

NOTE: Concrete Angel was written by Stephanie Bentley and Rob Crosby,

SOURCE

See The Graphic Photos That Got Adrian Peterson Indicted for Child Abuse & Decide If He Went Too Far (Independent Journal Review)

This entry was posted in Courts, Crime, Music, Short Video, United States and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to “Concrete Angel”: Martina McBride’s Powerful Song about Child Abuse (VIDEO)

1. Abuse is sad regardless…. Some never get the message though they have heard it thousands of times before.

Adrian Peterson’s dad did similar things to him, and he claims this is the norm in fundamentalist east Texas. Unfortunately, it often is the norm because some feel it is condoned by scripture.

http://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/columnists/erika-smith/2014/09/17/smith-adrian-peterson-case-opens-much-needed-dialogue-spanking/15772595/ “As NBA-player-turned-TV-commentator Charles Barkley said over the weekend: “Whipping — we do that all the time. Every black parent in the South is going to be in jail under those circumstances.”

Why black people?

My African-American Studies professors in college would say it’s rooted in slavery. That slaves were taught that punishment came at the end of a whip or a switch, and with each passing generation, that tactical lesson in discipline survived in twisted ways. There have been plenty of studies over the years that make this connection.

That’s not to say that people of other races and ethnicities don’t spank their kids. In fact, one of the scariest spankings I’ve ever seen was at the hands of white, fundamentalist Christian.”

4. James Knauer says:

So moving, this video…

Swarthmoremom, add that the church was the only place there was hope, and it adds credence to the intermingling of concepts you mentioned to arrive at The Switch. Spare the rod, etc.

My own mother was a serial abuser, lashing out when she lost control (which was often). But she was not terribly good with the corporal side. She threw stuff: hairbrushes, shoes, curlers, legos, sometimes empty bags or newspapers, whatever was at hand. We were young and could scoot out of the line of fire. When I was 9 she threw our cat Jennifer at me, and I caught her. Here I am a 9-year old cussing out my own mother for her irresponsible behavior. The whole parental authority facade dropped on that day and never rose again.

Most kids who are beaten are not so lucky.

James,

“Most kids who are beaten are not so lucky.”

Both my daughter and son-in-law are social workers with the Department of Children and Families. They known the truth of your statement only too well. I don’t know how they manage to go to work every day. I know I couldn’t do that job.

Cris Carter speaking on Abuse of children

When I lived in Texas i had a close friend that worked in a state hospital in east Texas. She explained to me that the families of the patients justified the abuse through scripture, and would not be convinced otherwise.

oops I

UPDATED: EXCLUSIVE Details On Adrian Peterson Indictment Charges
    By; Nick Wright

The beating allegedly resulted in numerous injuries to the child, including cuts and bruises to the child’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs and scrotum, along with defensive wounds to the child’s hands. Peterson then texted the boy’s mother, saying that one wound in particular would make her “mad at me about his leg. I got kinda good wit the tail end of the switch.”

Peterson also allegedly said via text message to the child’s mother that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh” and also acknowledged the injury to the child’s scrotum in a text message, saying, “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!”

10. James Knauer says:

Elaine, what strikes me watching all the backpedaling, disastrous pressers, and 2am decisions is that we witness one of the NFL’s chief flaws: a certain mental capacity problem. Add to it that both Peterson and Hardy were placed on the “exempt/commissioner’s permission list”. Is that like triple secret probation? Doesn’t that let Roger Goodell whitewash himself? Do they think we’ll forget the bumbling and stumbling? They only got scared when advertisers started to balk. Started to. No actual balking yet, so the money train keeps chugging.

There remains a falseness to the whole thing.

11. James Knauer says:

The NFL hit parade has no end in sight:

Report: Another NFL Player Arrested For Alleged Domestic Violence

“Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer was reportedly arrested Wednesday for alleged domestic violence.

The news comes after Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice was suspended indefinitely after a video surfaced of him hitting his wife and Minnesota Vikings All-Pro running back Adrian Peterson was indicted on child injury charges.

Charges:
    -aggravated assault
    -preventing someone from calling 911”

Why would a parent who loves a child deliberately hurt the child? There are so many other ways, loving ways, to correct a child. Children want to please adults. They just need to know, in loving ways, what the parent wants. They turn into their own version of monster when they reach about 12, but they still need love, not violence.

I see more than one problem. First of all, many football players are assaulting people they claim to care about. There are laws against this. Secondly, the judicial system isn’t treating their assaults seriously, perhaps due to their affluence, their celebrity, or just incompetence. I believe in second chances when combined with successfully completed anger management classes, but only on a first arrest.

The third problem is with the NFL and its teams. As we have seen, there is no coherent policy on how to deal with the felons in their midst. Every employee should have some sort of due process. I don’t see that on the teams or in the league. No employee should have to be punished more than once for a transgression. Rice and Peterson are two examples of employees being told one thing and then later told something else. And in Peterson’s case being told something different a third time. Since so many players are exhibiting off-field violence, the teams and the leagues should create a consistent approach for how to deal with the perpetrators. What are the ramifications for a charge of violence? for a conviction? What if the courts give a slap on the hand for a felony? Clearly if the player is serving time, he cannot fulfill his obligations to his employer, but most just get a slap on the hand and keep playing.

In spite of the lack of a clear policy by the teams and the league, the real problem, imo, is that courts aren’t taking the violence all that seriously. These are men who are paid a lot of money to be violent for our entertainment. They need to understand that we don’t find it entertaining when they beat up on others off the field whether it’s women, children, or other men.