DED Talks: Walt Disney

by Gene Howington

It comes as no surprise to the people who know me that I loathe Disney. So when I came across this item today at cracked.com, I laughed so hard I nearly hurt myself.  Why?  Because comedy is truth, only faster. Warning: Video contains NSFW language and some very uncomfortable truths about an American icon and founder of a marketing juggernaut.

About Gene Howington

I write and do other stuff.
This entry was posted in Art, Humor, Short Video and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to DED Talks: Walt Disney

1. Anonymously Yours says:

Interesting…..

2. Oro Lee says:

Nice left-handed compliment to TED Talks.

In the same vein of poking fun at a glory hound, one hopes that Dickenesque attorney saw the interception by his favorite thug: Richard Sherman: not the most athletic or game changing interception ever made, but certainly one of the more beautiful —

and to update, just substitute the name Trump for Disney.

and pay royalties for writing both names

and pay the royalties for the life of the author plus 75 years

5. eniobob says:

John Lasseter seemed to be a pretty creative guy :

6. Carlyle Moulton says:

I must admit to liking some Disney comics, especially those featuring Scrooge McDuck and hating those featuring that fascist rodent, Mickey Mouse. The McDuck stories in my view were written by extreme liberals and were very satirical and gently critical of American values, the Mouse ones on the other hand were propaganda for the American Imperium.

To see the damage caused by disneyfication one only has to observe the post Disney career of Miley Cyrus whose anti-Disney backlash has turned her into a joke.

Oro Lee,
    Yes quite amazing that Richard Sherman can be so good a player and so articulate a man, that a certain attorney who thinks he knows football can call him a thug. Could it be the Colorado of his skin?

Carlyle,
    For comic books I too liked Uncle Scrooge, but I’va always been more of a Bugs Bunny kind of guy. This Christmas we met our oldest daughter and my three grandchildren at Disneyworld and while the experience of being with my family was wonderful, the place itself made me feel like I was in a 50’s time warp and I don’t mean in a good way. Whet I will give to their organization is that it is extremely well managed. However, the food was awful even in their better restaurants.

8. Carterbo says:

I think it’s fair to say that the ” Dickenesque attorney” is no different than Sherman. Minus the fact nobody would ever label the former a “thug.” Both are very calculated when the bright lights of a camera are pointed their way.

I’m with Mike on the Bug’s reference. Look at how Bug’s made the co-stars around him better. Daffy, Elmer, Wile E., Yosemite Sam, Pete Puma, et al….

it isnt called Iwerks or Lasseter. They had the same chance Disney did. They lost he won.

Tuff shit. That is how life works. I started a business about the same time another guy I know, he is doing a hell of a lot better than me. I even used to do work for his company.

He is a good deal better than I am at marketing and growing a business. There are probably people he used to work for and who used to work for him who say the exact same things that people say and said about Disney.

It is life, grow a fucking pair and move on.

10. I’m pretty sure you didn’t pay attention to what the video said about Disney, B.
    All of that?
    Is historically accurate.
    Walt was just about an actual fascist, certainly discriminatory and let’s say “very open minded” about other people’s intellectual property. Not to mention prone to predatory business practices and personally vindictive (read about his relationship with Don Bluth some time). Walt Disney wasn’t a nice guy let alone a good role model if you apply other metrics beside income. Think Trump but actually competent.

11. You want an example of a great CEO, B?

Try SAS’ James Goodnight. He shepherded SAS from a startup to a company that not only is worth 7.3b but is consistently rated one of the best companies in the country to work for.

i did a little bit of poking around and I doubt Disney was a fascist. He did call out a few people he thought were communists.

Women and blacks were kept out of a lot of professions at that time in our history, why pick on Disney?

Many people testified against communists. Based on Stalin actions, can you really blame them?

I am guessing much of this criticism is because he did testify.

13. I’m going to stick by my “just about an actual” language, B.

As a kid I enjoyed the Disney movies, they were some of the first that I saw, along with Ma and Pa Kettle, and Roy Rogers. Loved Bugs and company, Tom and Jerry, Tweety Bird.

Recently I took a test to determine my racist attitude. One part of the test was to look at various ads and indicate them as offensive or not, if so, why. One of them was a picture of Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. I found it to be offensive: to women being expected to be sweet and charming and expected to keep house for a bunch of men while waiting to be rescued by a prince (and what if Prince Charming doesn’t come?) and how did all those men manage before she showed up. To dwarfs for being all the same color and stereotyped and happy working in a mine and subservient to the stranger woman who just moved in and took over. I’ll admit it was the story as well as the picture but since I knew the story it came with the picture.

If Disney was willing to name people as Communists, that’s another group that he wouldn’t hire.

Gene:

I dont know, it doesnt sound too convincing.

Why not just pick on some real dipshits like Ken Lay? Disney put a bunch of people to work and made some rich. I am unconvinced that a man who built the Magic Kingdom was a fascist.

I will have to see a good deal more evidence than “he went to some meetings.” I come here but I am certainly not a progressive.

bron, Disney put a number of talented, politically aligned with him, white men to work. He left a lot of others on the street. He made himself rich.

bettykath:

It was his company, he could hire who he wanted. We arent so free now.

Would I hire only white men? Nope but I would want the best I could afford. Limiting yourself to white males is shortsighted.

19. Bron,

Was “just about” unclear? He may not have owned a brown shirt, but there was a bit of farmyard fowl in his step. The main point is that he wasn’t the squeaky clean ideal he’s made out to be but rather quite a rotten bastard who was probably a racist and certainly a sexist not to mention a “liberator” of other people’s IP. Maybe not the criminal Lay was, but certainly not a man to put on a pedestal as an ideal person let alone an ideal business man.

There isnt much new under the sun. The Great Gatsby was a knockoff of Wuthering Heights. So much for F. Scott Fitzgerald as some flapper wunderkind.

I wonder how many stories Othello has inspired? That movie about the guy who offers another guy a million dollars to sleep with his wife, taken from a play titled Mona Vana.

21. Different idea there, B. All art (almost all anyway) is somehow derivative of that which came before it. Walt flat out stole Mickey Mouse. We aren’t talking about “10 Things I Hate About You” being based on the story structure of “The Taming of the Shrew”, “Ran” being a Japanese take on “King Lear” or “Forbidden Planet” being a sci-fi turn on “The Tempest”. They are their own things despite being inspired by the Bard’s work. “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead” may have been inspired by “Hamlet” but it was not “Hamlet” dressed up word for word with the setting simply moved to Wales. Walt literally took the work of a fellow animator and slapped his name on it for a character design that was mostly if not totally lifted as well. That is more like Christopher Marlowe taking credit for writing “Romeo and Juliet”. (A shout out to my English Lit homies!)