By Elaine Magliaro

Gawker has an interesting article about fake Baltimore photos that went viral last week.

Here’s one photo of particular interest:

1233408242890782053

The above fake photograph of “Baltimore” was widely circulated. As you can see, it shows “an enormous fire silhouetting a McDonald’s sign.” Gawker said the image was “so striking that Memphis’ WHBQ-TV used it to illustrate their Baltimore coverage.” Gawker said it wasn’t completely clear where the photo–which had previously been attributed to Venezuela’s 2014 riots–came from. Gawker added that the photo “pre-dates the unrest in Baltimore by over a year.”

Gawker:

In a since-deleted apology, the station acknowledged their mistake:

1233408242921220709

SOURCE

Forward or Delete: This Week’s Fake Baltimore Photos (Gawker)

34 Responses to WHBQ-TV Uses A Fake Photo of “Baltimore in Flames” to Illustrate Its Coverage of Civil Unrest in the City

1. randyjet says:

Any person who relies on FAUX news is not worth talking to or considering as a rational person. This is simply the standard FAUX is known for. That they have a full newsroom of people who cannot know where Egypt, Iraq, and Iran are and not notice that they put the wrong labels on the wrong countries. says it all about their standards. Then to remember that the national outlet faked the numbers at a Tea Party rally by using footage of a much larger one several months before, should tell us all that FAUX news can only be relied upon to give the GOP party line.

2. FOX News.
    All the news fit to fabricate.

3. This is NOT at all shocking.

It is VERY sad that they have NO standards though.

4. I have an Off Topic Question… It has to do with American Laws
    and what constitutes extortion and or Blackmail.

Any suggestions on where I can ask this question? 🙂

This is how the corporate media changes the narrative away from the “uncomfortable” notion of the American genocide of people of color. I use that expression “people of color” because it also takes in Latinos and Native Americans. The police killings are not merely the symptoms of law enforcement out of control, but a consistent pattern of behaviors authorized by law, of attacking people of color running throughout the history of our country. There are elements of course of class warfare within that to be sure, but for these groups it is outright bigotry driving the abuse

JAGIS,

Use the About/Contact link just below the masthead and you can get in touch with us.

7. Well said Mike..

When I see this photo, It looks to me like they are trying to make the
    people of color look like Animals, and push an US vs THEM type story.
    Sort of like LOOK what “THOSE” people do… You and I am civilized,
    they are not.
    They are NOT like us, see how they will burn their city down.
    White people don’t do that.

They have been pulling this Racist BS for YEARS…

8. Bob Kauten says:

JAGIS,
    OK, already!
    I’ll stop blackmailing you!

JAGIS,

No problem, as our EIC Gene frequently say “one lives to be of service”. Also it is good to see you commenting again.

JAG,

I’ll echo what Mike said. It’s good to have you commenting at FFS again.

11. Ohhhhhh Good god… I should have proof read my comment.. LOL

You and I am civilized… teeheehee

I meant, you and I are civilized.

12. Awwww Thank you all… You have just made my day…
    You made my heart sing with warmth.
    Thank you.

I always miss you all so much. ❤

13. Bob Kauten

It’s OK, you can release the nude photos… I have nothing to hide.. 😉

Bob K.,

You still owe me for all the skulking

Mike:

blouise:

how is John Kasich doing in your state? I saw him interviewed on Fox news Sunday with Chris Wallace and he sounds pretty centrist. it also sounded like he took the death of the young boy seriously and is trying to change police practices.

“with the exception of the 19th century war against the tribes of North America, I don’t see any genocide. Except for maybe the killing of little black babies in their mother’s wombs. As for Hispanics, they number around 60 million and growing strong.

What I do see are democrat controlled cities where people live in violent, poverty stricken hell.”

Bron,
    You keep BS’ing us with the idea you’re not a Republican so that you avoid criticism of supporting specific policies, yet you prove that’s how you vote with remarks like that above. In any event As far as whether or not what is happening is genocide obviously you missed what I wrote last week since you didn’t bother to comment: https://flowersforsocrates.com/2015/04/29/americas-black-genocide-and-the-baltimore-riots/

18. Faux News pretending to sibcerely apologize, ain’t that rich! But it’s real easy improve
    improve
    improveJust tell the truth for once

19. Bob Kauten says:

blouise,
    I’m puzzled. I thought that you were paying me for my skulking.
    Perhaps I was misinformed about that, and about coming here for the waters?

Mike:

I read your article, I don’t agree with it. I do agree that drug laws should be rewritten.

I once tried to get away from an MD state trooper who clocked me doing 85 on I-95 about a mile from the Baltimore beltway, I quickly pulled over and tried to evade the cop, he was too quick and he was going to catch me so I pulled over. He put his hand on his weapon and told me to put my hands on the steering wheel and not to move, he was pissed. I think he would have shot me had I moved. I made up some story about how I worked at this exit and didn’t realize he was chasing me. so I got a speeding ticket.

Now maybe if I was black he would have arrested me, and I don’t argue that blacks get treated differently in some instances by certain people. I have seen it personally. But you know what, I get asked by people all the time if I work. it pisses me off but I understand why people ask the question; because there is a perception that disabled people don’t work. And many don’t.

There is a perception that young black men commit crimes. Many don’t but that is the perception. is it fair, nope, is it right, nope.

Bob K

Well done. Dazzle them with bullshit.

22. blouise17 says:

What I do see are democrat controlled cities where people live in violent, poverty stricken hell. – Bron

Like Ferguson, Missouri?

blouise, Seems to be the party line….. “democrat controlled cities”.

24. Bob Kauten says:

blouise,
    Well, I gotta do what I can.
    I’m not likely to baffle them with brilliance.
    I do, however, frequently cloud men’s minds with science.
    Sadly, that’s not much of a challenge, anymore.

25. blouise17 says:

SwM,

You gotta wonder … do these idiots actually believe the crap they’re spouting?

I remember a vacation we took a few years ago doing B&B’s in PA. One night we sat and listened to an innkeeper going on and on about what a good republican she was so how come she was “livin’ like a democrat?” I laughed out loud. Honey, I told her, you’re livin’ just like a republican, strapped for cash and close to bankruptcy. Democrats have jobs and money in their pockets. They go on vacation right here at your on-the-edge-of-financial-collapse business.

It was hilarious. So yeah,. “democrat controlled cities” like Ferguson, Missouri is about as intelligent as republicans get.

I lived in St. Louis county and my grandfather lived in the city. it is a democrat town and union. chances are Ferguson is run by democrats, Henry Clay is their congressman.

A quick look at any presidential election map in the last 30 years shows that the majority of large cities are democrat voting blocks, I think it would be safe to say the city governments are also democrat controlled.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/18/1322606/-Ferguson-s-election-turnout-is-terrible-by-design-Here-s-how-to-fix-it “As Millhiser writes:

If you compared the racial makeup of Ferguson, Missouri’s population as a whole to that of its government, it would be easy to mistake the city for an enclave of Jim Crow. Although nearly 70 percent of Ferguson is black, 50 of its 53 police officers are white. So are five of Ferguson’s six city council members. The mayor, James Knowles, is a white Republican.”

And, of course, Carly Fiorina is a serious candidate and not just the republican token meant to soften up Hillary so Jeb doesn’t look bad when he attacks.

God help us … dumb as a doorknob be the true believer.

29. Bob Kauten says:

blouise,
    This Carly Fiorina website explains her experience with a very simple, but effective graphic.

30. gbk says:

“And, of course, Carly Fiorina is a serious candidate . . .” — Blouise

I was still somewhat economically tied to Sillycon Valley when Carley gutted HP. She is a disaster of executive decisions..

Bob K and gbk,

The republican male pack of wannabes can’t be viewed as attacking the lone female democrat so the beard, Fiorina, is brought in to start the dirty work. Once she’s softened up the target, it will be okay for Jeb to jump in. The tactic is so basic and clear that only a republican fool would climb on board the Fiorina bandwagon. She probably had to swear an oath not to pull a Palin on ’em.

SNL will have a good time … though I doubt anyone can top Palin’s (Tina Fey’s) “I can see Russia from my house!”

She’s building brownie points for a run for DiFi’s senate seat.