Morning Open Thread is an open discussion forum for human interest news of the day.
The Mississippi Pot Roast has been called the dish that ate the internet. It is probably the easiest pot roast recipe I have ever seen. I was told the New York Times food editors turned up their noses at the notion of using pre-packaged seasonings, so with much effort and fanfare, made their own. Taste testing could not tell the difference.
Follow me below the fold for the Secret Ingredients and Method.
The ingredients could not be easier:
3-4 pound chuck roast
1 package au jus mix
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 stick butter (real butter, not margarine)
4-5 pepperoncini peppers
Fresh ground pepper & seasoned salt to taste
Here is how it goes together:
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray.
- Put roast in the bottom of the slow cooker (i.e., Crock Pot)
- Sprinkle with a little black pepper and a little seasoned salt.
- Sprinkle the top with the ranch dressing mix and the au jus mix.
- Put pepperoncini peppers on top of mix powders.
- Add stick of butter on top.
- Set the slow cooker to 8 hours.
- You do not add any additional water to this.
- Play a round of golf, or go fishing. Have a nice day. Listen to music, preferably Mississippi style blues.
- Come home and take lid off cooker.
- Serve with favorite veggies.
Here is a visual aid:
Some music appropriate for preparing the Mississippi Pot Roast:
This is a daily open thread. There are several hosts, each host being responsible for picking a “theme of the day” and starting the discussion. However, there is no hard and fast rule about staying on topic, especially if you have a personal story burning a hole in your pocket trying to escape.
Pictures and videos are welcome in the comments. If photos are used, please be sure you own the copyright. We would rather see your personal photos anyway, rather than random stuff copied from the internet. Our only request is that if you use pictures or videos, take pity on those who don’t have broadband, and don’t post more than two or three in a single comment.
Morning Open Thread will be set to post at (or about) 6:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time. For those on international or military times, that is 1030 Zulu Time.
This is an open thread. Grab your cup, pull up a chair and sit a spell. Feel free to share what’s on your mind today.