The Coffee Shop: Under Renovation

The Coffee Shop is an open thread-style discussion forum for human interest news of the day.

—oooOooo–

There are several hosts, each host being responsible for picking a “theme of the day” and starting the discussion. But in an open thread, there’s no hard and fast rule about staying on topic, especially if you have a personal story burning a hole in your pocket trying to escape.

Pictures and videos are welcome in the comments.  If photos are used, please be sure you own the copyright. We would rather see your personal photos anyway, instead of random stuff copied from the internet.  Our only request is that if you use pictures or videos, take pity on those who don’t have broadband, and don’t post more than two or three in a single comment.

Coffee cup

This is an Open Thread. Grab your cup, pull up a chair, sit a spell and share what’s on your mind today.

The Coffee Shop format and time slot are under review. If you have any suggestions that you think would improve the series, please add them in the comments. Otherwise, feel free to discuss whatever is on your mind this morning.

Thank you for visiting!

imogee in hard hat

About wordcloud9

Nona Blyth Cloud has lived and worked in the Los Angeles area for the past 45 years, spending much of that time commuting on the 405 Freeway. After Hollywood failed to appreciate her genius for acting and directing, she began a second career managing non-profits, from which she has retired. Nona has now resumed writing whatever comes into her head, instead of reports and pleas for funding. She lives in a small house overrun by books with her wonderful husband and a bewildered Border Collie.
This entry was posted in Blogs, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The Coffee Shop: Under Renovation

1. Later in the morning, perhaps. That would likely help with the post appearing in the reader when more people are around, but then cross-posting at DK doesn’t work. More by email.

2. ragnarsbhut says:

What is the price per cup of coffee here?

3. ragnarsbhut says:

Wordcloud9, I know that. I was making a joke based on how this post was titled.

• wordcloud9 says:

I know – I couldn’t resist!

The Coffee Shop was originally designed to be the anchor series here, written by various authors, but over time, some of the contributors dropped out, and it became increasingly difficult to keep TCS running seven days a week. When the last of the other co-authors decided to quit, I kept it going as a once-a-week post on Monday mornings, and after consulting the Powers That Be, launched On This Day as the new anchor series for Flowers for Socrates.

4. ragnarsbhut says:

Nona Blyth Cloud, I know that Flowers For Socrates has many contributors. Who is the coauthor that you speak of?

• wordcloud9 says:

It doesn’t matter – someone whose family obligations increased to the point they could no longer commit to making regular contributions, but still does contribute when they do get some spare time.

5. ragnarsbhut says:

I know he has been doing other things, however, I have enjoyed Gene Howington’s writings.

6. ragnarsbhut says:

Wordcloud9, aside from here, are there any blogs that you contribute to that you would recommend that I look into? Any suggestions are appreciated.

• wordcloud9 says:

The only other website where I contribute is Daily Kos – it was set up as a site for Left-Wing Democrats if that’s to your liking.

The political wrangling can get pretty intense, but there are a lot of good writers and activists who post there, so I often see stories and ideas there that are getting little or no coverage by the major media outlets.

Daily Kos has become something of an online community over the years – there are now groups that post series on pets, gardening, home repair, history, quilting, poetry – pretty much any hobby or pastime you can think of, there’s probably a group for it there.

I write a twice-a-month Women’s History series for one of the DK feminist groups. So my research overlaps for those blogs and On This Day – maximum efficiency!

The down side to the amount of research I do is that it doesn’t allow me much time to look at other websites, unless I’m tracking a historical thread.

I do use South Africa History Online a lot, because it also covers some of the major events in other parts of Africa, and sources for African history that aren’t just about white explorers and colonialists have been hard to find.

7. ragnarsbhut says:

Wordcloud9, taking political ideology out of the equation, all I want is honest reporting on the news, regardless of the source. Just my thoughts.

• wordcloud9 says:

Everyone has some kind of bias – your experiences in life are all you really have to go by, and what’s been true for you may not be true for somebody else.

You always have to “consider the source.” Sites that make big vague sweeping statements about TRUTH and PATRIOTISM and CHRIST and SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS give me that itchy feeling I’m about to get conned, but that’s my bias because of my life experience.

I don’t trust anyone who says they have THE Truth, because in my experience, there’s always more than one truth, and nobody has all the answers.

Nevertheless, I’m a highly opinionated person, and I express my thoughts just as forcefully as any other highly opinionated person, because, having often been the only woman at the table, my life experience taught me to speak up and refuse to be ignored.

8. ragnarsbhut says:

Wordcloud9, no argument there. As far as your being highly opinionated, that is a good thing in some way. The issue is when and where these should be expressed from my way of thinking.

9. ragnarsbhut says:

To elaborate further as to what I meant with my one comment, where I mentioned wanting honest reporting of the news, regardless of the source, I have no inclination to tolerate being lied to. It makes no difference to me with regard to a news outlet having a set ideology. All I want is the truth.

• wordcloud9 says:

The truth is getting harder to find all the time – 90% of the media is owned by 15 billionaires. I don’t think your idea of the truth or mine would look much like Rupert Murdoch’s.