July 20th is
Space Exploration Day
National Lollipop Day
Ugly Truck Day
World Jump Day
International Cake Day
World Festivals and National Holidays
Lao – Lao Womens Union Establishment Day
Morocco – Marrakesh Popular Arts Festival
U.S.A. – Key West Hemingway Days & Papa
On This Day in HISTORY
- 1248 – The University of Oxford receives its Royal Charter
- 1756 – British POWs interned in the “Black Hole of Calcutta”
- 1782 – U.S. Congress adopts the Great Seal of the United States
- 1837 – Queen Victoria succeeds to the throne of the British Empire
There’s More! Sitting Bull, Carlos Santana and Jaws, just click
- 1840 – Samuel Morse gets the patent for the telegraph
- 1877 – First commercial telephone service is installed in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- 1881 – Sitting Bull surrenders to federal troops in Montana
- 1887 – Victoria Terminus, the busiest railway station in India, opens in Bombay.
- 1900 – Imperial Chinese forces begin a 55-day siege of the Beijing Legation Quarter.
- 1917 – WWI draft lottery becomes operational
- 1942 – Women’s Army Auxiliary Corps (WACS) first detachment begins basic training
- 1944 – FDR nominated for unprecedented fourth term at Democratic Convention
- 1947 – Carlos Santana, Grammy winning guitarist, is born ………….. (Birthday tribute will post at 9:30 AM CDT today)
- 1961 – “Stop the World, I Want to Get Off” opens in London
- 1968 – Hugh Masekela’s “Grazing in the Grass” is #1 on the singles chart
- 1969 – Neil Armstrong and ‘Buzz’ Aldrin are the first men to walk on moon
- 1975 – The movie Jaws opens, starting the “summer blockbuster” phenomenon
- 1991 – The German Bundestag votes to move the capital from Bonn back to Berlin.
- 2002 – U.S. Supreme Court rules 6-3 that executing mentally retarded murderers is …………….cruel and unusual punishment.