Senator Bernie Sanders on Meet the Press (VIDEO)

Senator Bernie Sanders Independent of Vremont

Senator Bernie Sanders
Independent of Vermont

Submitted by Elaine Magliaro

Senator Bernie Sanders, an Independent from the state of Vermont, appeared on Meet the Press earlier today.

Excerpt from Todd’s interview with Sanders:

Sanders:

“The truth is, there is profound anger at both political parties…The question is: At a time when so many people have seen a decline in their standard of living, when the wealthiest and largest corporations are doing phenomenally well, the American people want change.”

“I think Citizens United will go down in history as one of the worst Supreme Court decisions ever. I think it is opening up the road to oligarchy in the United States of America…Anybody who speaks to the needs of the working class and the middle class of this country and shows the courage to take on the billionaire class — I think that candidate will do pretty well.”

Here’s is a video of Chuck Todd’s interview with Bernie Sanders:

**********

SOURCE

Bernie Sanders would run for president against Wall Street, not Hillary Clinton (Washington Post)

This entry was posted in Campaign Finance, Democracy, Government, Oligarchy, Politics, United States, Wall Street and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Senator Bernie Sanders on Meet the Press (VIDEO)

1. randyjet says:

I wish I could vote for him, but I HATE cold weather, but I DO love maple syrup and Ben and Jerry’s. If he runs for President, I will vote for him,

2. What Randy said. Could not agree more on all points. Alas, I am afraid that Ben & Jerry’s is going to be only a fond memory for me from now on.

3. He’s one I could vote for.
    Vermont has really good cheeses too.

4. po says:

Yep, voting for him whether he runs or not.
    Vermont has some good peoples too.

Elaine,

Here is a pretty good article about Sanders written about 3 years ago by Paul Harris for the Guardian. And it would appear he has changed his mind where seeking the Presidency is concerned. Or, perhaps, he’s looking at the VP spot

Bernie, I love you brother, hope the best for you. When in Iowa, stay away from the corndogs.

My neighbor, that has Sanders yard sign in his yard, seems to have an inside track to the campaign. He told me a month ago that Sanders will only run if Warren does not so we shall see. I think if he runs it will be in the democratic primary. Doubt he would pull a Nader and run as third party but who knows for sure.

Iowa’s Leftwing Anti-Hillary Voters Look to Bernie Sanders
    9/14/14

“I like the issues Bernie’s hitting, his anger, because I’m angry,” says Mark Brooks, 62, an Air Force veteran who believes Clinton is too “corporate” to be a good president. “This isn’t the country I defended,” he adds.

Sanders’ message resounded with Brooks. Sanders noted, “We have more people living in poverty than any other time in the history of the United States of America,” touching on 2008-era Edwards’ populist message on poverty.

“It’s a crying shame!” a man yelled in the audience.

“It is a crying shame,” Sanders replied.

Calling for a new jobs program, investment in education and the public funding of elections, Sanders highlights that economic disparity in America has never been greater.

In his speech, Sanders rattles off figures that point to the unfairness that many of his supporters are most concerned about: that top 25 U.S. hedge fund managers made $24 billion last year, or the equivalent of the annual salaries of 450,000 public school teachers. That Walmart is now the largest employer in America while the Walton family, which owns Walmart, possesses as much wealth as the bottom 40% of all earners in America.

• James Knauer says:

Elaine, I hope Sanders runs irrespective of Warren’s decision. His voice needs to be on that primary stage. If Warren runs, together they can pincer-move Clinton into having to answer questions she may not otherwise be asked. One of the reasons she lost in 2008 is she could not be bothered to count caucus votes, and that was before her world tours as SoS. It’s hard to imagine she’s any closer to Earth now than then. With the GOP in disarray, Democrats can afford to have this conversation, and in public. Right now, Clinton simply looks like an extension of failed policy. It’s no longer 1990 so I’m unmoved by the Golden Years argument for her election. Clinton (as well is Sanders let us admit) is also of a generation where Social Media can really blind side a person into a defensive crouch if they do not have the skill to respond. And those skills are not the same as what most elected politicians retain.

We’re all watching, recording forever, or until the ‘lectrisicle goes on the Fritz.

I really like the ideas he’s supported all his political life but does he stand a chance in the general election where the majority are center to right?

blouise, Definitely not…… He would be called a “socialist”.

“a socialist gun grabber.”

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/09/senator-bernie-sanders-may-run-in-2016.html “It’s no presidential interview, but in his second week as host of Meet the Press, Chuck Todd scored a minor 2016 scoop. “I am thinking about running for president,” announced Senator Bernie Sanders, an Independent from Vermont who caucuses with the Democrats. He hasn’t decided if he would run as a third-party candidate or a Democrat, but said, “Anybody who speaks to the needs of the working class and the middle class of this country and shows the courage to take on the billionaire class — I think that candidate will do pretty well.” In reality, America isn’t going to elect a self-described socialist, but Sanders’s candidacy could highlight those issues and push Hillary Clinton to the left. Plus, Clinton can’t debate herself.”

“With the GOP in disarray, Democrats can afford to have this conversation, and in public.” (James)

The more I think about that statement, the more I agree. I’m a Hillary supporter and my husband is even more so. I know she can answer the hard questions and I agree she should be pushed to do so. Warren would be another welcome addition to the debate. James is right. We can afford to have the conversation and should do so.

Sanders will not run if Warren does. It really looks like Warren is not.

More likely a democrat that is to the right of Hillary like Jim Webb or a governor might run in addition to Sanders.

What Are The Gobshites Saying These Days?
    By Charles P. Pierce on September 15, 2014

Kudos to my man Chuck Todd for at last recognizing, as Mr. Driftglass puts it, that Bernie Sanders exists enough to have him as a guest in the broadcast news equivalent of the Overlook Hotel. But only the briefest of kudos because he also brought on Undead Bush family fixer James Baker, the Danny Ocean of the Great Heist Of 2000, as an example of a wise old man who’s only interested in the public good, sort of like David Gergen with more heads on his wall.

First, Sanders slaps my man Chuck upside the head for implying that Citizens United empowered billionaires of Both Sides to buy themselves elections.

SANDERS: “Chuck, I think Citizens United will go down in history as one of the worst Supreme Court decisions ever. I think it is opening up the road to oligarchy in the United States of America, where the billionaires like the Koch brothers….left or right, but it’s mostly right let’s be clear. The Koch brothers are going to spend $400 million. Do you know what their agenda is? Do you know what they believe in? Let me tell you what they believe in. This is what they told us. They want to end Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid. More tax breaks for the rich and large corporations. Nobody in America wants that except the billionaire class, and yet they are now able to put hundreds of billions of dollars into the political process. This is a real danger to American democracy.”

And then Baker comes on to once again clean up after the Bush family, this time explaining that the obvious fact that Iraq is in chaos has nothing to do whatsoever with the bungling of the person he helped install in the White House 14 years ago. No questions were asked that contained the word, “oil,” because who are we kidding, right?

Things were much the same over on ABC with The Clinton Guy Shocked By Blowjobs, But the real extravaganza came on CBS, where retired Tenth Legion embed Bob Schieffer hosted White House chief of staff Denis McDonough, who was everywhere this weekend, pitching the administration’s case for making war against the big scary monsters. John Kerry popped by as well, to add his two cents of blood-chilling fear. But the really fine moment came when Bob showed a clip of Senator Huckleberry J. Butchmeup’s dialing the old boogedy-boogedy up well north of 11 and doing what appears to be a commercial for Depends.

SEN. LINDSEY GRAHAM (R), SOUTH CAROLINA: There’s no way in hell you can form an army on the ground to go into Syria to destroy ISIL without a substantial American component. This president needs to rise to the occasion before we all get killed back here at home.

17. buckaroo says:

Lets hear what Sen Sanders has to say. & where is all this money to come from ? I’m sick of people seeking to tax income rather than wealth. Let these trust babies pay their fair share – rags to riches is great. However to be rich by Tax Code is superannuated

18. The thing that impressed me most about Sanders in the interview, although I was struck and impressed by his rhetoric, and I mean no disrespect with the term, would be his hardened focus. Despite numerous attempts to take him to into other arenas of controversy as well Sanders stayed directly on topic and would not let the media take focus away. This I see as a critical skill for the person who would be the “face and voice”of our country.

19. Because in many ways in the end I believe a President is no more than that “a face and voice for our nation”.

20. po says:

The only thing, well 2 things bothering me about Bernie, and Warren are the same things.

1- both are within the system, which makes it impossible for either to change anything. The longer one stays in, the more wrapped up in the tentacles on is. Recently John Stewart had Warren on his show, and though he pressed her on some of her own dealings with wall street, she refused to answer.
    2-Not to want to resurrect a dead horse, but both were signatories of the unanimous resolution supporting Israel’s most recent shelling of Gaza, which says a great deal about their integrity. Why did they do it? Do they legitimately support Israel wholeheartedly? I can give them a pass for that.
    Did they do it for fear of standing out and being singled out otherwise? That is faulty integrity, and I have no use for that.
    Interesting, Chris Hedges followed Bernie here with same issue.

21. Excellent Po and umm disturbing. I have to find out more about Chris Hedges before I comment.

22. Well it continued to be disturbing. Hedges is quite a character a character, once i could tie a name and a face to deeds it became much clearer. i agreed with much of his speech in whole (as I leap off topic), but I think he waxed a bit apocalyptic at times. He is a gifted writer and speaker it seems but overall from the limited amount I have read his credibility would seem suspect from his association with the Information Collection Program, which if I am understanding correct is basically a major contributor to the justification for interference in the Middle East.

23. po says:

Yeah, Hedges is indeed an interesting person. He does display a great deal of moral strength and personal integrity, and has been willing to put his career and his livelihood where his mouth is. He is also quite qualified to discuss the topics he brings up because of his vast experience as a reporter and war correspondent. His various debates with everyone, including the new atheists have been interesting.
    Being a practicing Christian (I think) and having witnessed the inhumanity of humanity in various parts of the word, his apocalyptic view is pretty marked.
    Obviously, seems inescapable that everyone has a stain on their halo, and his, as has been reported lately, may be his tendency for careless attribution and crediting of other people’s work that shows up in his own. Although only heard that from one single source.
    I don’t know what the ICP is. What is it?

24. I didn’t either, apparently he was the main reporter for three major stories that were basically initiated from the ICP, which was basically being used as a device to fabricate reasoning for the Iraq war in particular as well as some other Middle East interference. The articles were all basically bogus, hedges had taken them on good faith but with some doubts because of connections in some of the cases.
    Overall i like what he seems to stand for, I can say the same for Sanders. Hedges does seem to present a starker and more radical view as well as pretty much calling for revolution or at least fomenting civil unrest (not that is always a bad thing). If only this could be a start of a “coalition of the willing”. Thanks for the video by the way.

• po says:

You are welcome. I never heard of the ICP, quite interesting what you just revealed, I’ll certainly research it more in depth.
      Thanks.

25. Annie says:

Sanders would most definitely have my vote, as well as Warren.

“Marvels Of Capitalism: A German research organization has found that life expectancy for those from the former East Germany has been increased by reunification. A large lesson is to be learned here.

According to the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, former East German men “on average would have died 6.2 years earlier than in unified Germany” while “women would have lived 4.2 fewer years.”

“The positive impact of reunification on life expectancy in eastern Germany is amazing,” says Institute researcher Tobias Vogt.

The sharp improvement is greater than the increases in Japan, “the world’s record holder in life expectancy,” says the institute. And it “began almost immediately after the fall of the Berlin Wall,” adds Vogt.

Why has this happened? Vogt believes “the rapid mortality and survival improvements in eastern Germany cannot be nailed down to a single cause.” Some possibilities he submits are better medical care, reductions in environmental pollution and changes in lifestyle.

We’d say yes to all three — and point out that all of these possibilities are produced by any transition from a communist government to a system that is more market-oriented.”

There is Bernie’s campaign slogan “Vote Sanders, Die Younger!”

Of course, I already knew this.

• randyjet says:

bron I think that not having people SHOT trying to leave would also have a big impact too. That might also be a cause for an immediate increase in life expectancy.

randyjet:

So you arent a totalitarian communist? How is that possible? Since communism doesnt work, even the experiments with small socialist “communes” of the Fourier and Owen variety in the mid 19th century failed or had to incorporate market reforms to survive. The Soviet Union had to use force.

I am all for helping my fellow man and do what I can but I like my liberty. Personally, I’d rather take my chances on my own than be part of a worker’s “paradise.” Funny how the Jihadis are also offering up “paradise” to their followers.

As for being shot, those were just crazies and needed to be put down, who but a crazy person would leave “paradise.”

Bernie probably has his own idea of paradise, it probably is just as shitty as all the others. Count me out.

• randyjet says:

bron, I suggest you read some history about the Russian revolution. I would recommend Trotsky’s History of the Russian Revolution as a start. The fact is that as in many or most revolutions, there is a counter revolution and what happened under Stalin was the counter revolution in the 30s with the great purge trials and resulting repression. To call the Soviet Union a communist or socialist state flies in the face of reality. To cite just one example, under Lenin at the end of the Civil War and foreign invasions, the CPUSSR outlawed the death penalty. That was part of the normal socialist program in all countries. Stalin of course, put it back in place. This is magnified in ALL areas of life under Stalin in which he tossed aside all the program of the original part of their political program. I doubt that most Roman Catholics will call the corrupt eras of that Church as representative of Christian teachings. I hardly think that we need to ban the Church as a result of its very corrupt and vicious past or toss Christianity out as a valid religion based on that history.

We could all use some market based capitalistic four weeks paid vacation a year.