By Elaine Magliaro

A man who claimed that he was a Republican named Anthony from San Diego called into C-SPAN’s Washington Journal on Thursday morning and referred to President Obama as “that ni**er.” The caller told host Steve Scully, “I would just like to say, that the Republicans — and I’m a Republican — please do not overreach. I know they’re going to overreach but I’m telling you, if you advocate for the repeal of Obamacare and you get too extreme, then Hillary Clinton will be elected President in 2016.” He added, “This is about race. The Republicans hate that nigger Obama.”

Scully quickly cut off the caller after he used the racial epithet. Scully told the caller, “Okay, I’m gonna stop you there. We’re not gonna use that kind of language.”

SOURCE

C-SPAN Caller On Air: ‘Republicans Hate That N***er Obama’ (VIDEO) (Talking Points Memo)

This entry was posted in Media, Politics, Society, United States and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Another Scene from “Post Racial” America: C-Span Caller Refers to the President as “That Ni**er Obama” on the Air

1. buckaroo says:

Once again a Mr Noname get the attention he does not deserve. Is he white, black, brown, red, or yellow ? No body cares – he made the news by saying just a few words. Only in America !!!!!!

2. eniobob says:

“and I’m a Republican — please do not overreach””. The Republicans hate that nigger Obama.”
    “o·ver·reach
    ˌōvərˈrēCH/
    verb

an injury to a forefoot of a horse resulting from its having overreached”

I can imagine what part of the horse the caller was.

3. The more I think about this, the more I wanted to run an idea past those of you who’ve been reading the Propaganda Series.

Consider the structure of what was said:

“I would just like to say, that the Republicans — and I’m a Republican — please do not overreach. I know they’re going to overreach but I’m telling you, if you advocate for the repeal of Obamacare and you get too extreme, then Hillary Clinton will be elected President in 2016. This is about race. The Republicans hate that nigger Obama.”

It’s almost structured like a joke. You set a group of expectations. Republicans want to repeal the ACA and that’s an invitation for another DNC President. You provide context for the group. “I’m a Republican”. This establishes the setup. A Republican who doesn’t want Republicans to do something against their best interests: repeal the ACA.

Then that expectation is punctured. “This is about race. The Republicans hate that nigger Obama.” The expectation is punctured by portraying Republicans (by a “self-identifying Republican” no less) acting even further against their best interests by substituting mere bad tactical judgement for a more coarse motive of simple bigotry thus making the Republicans appear more than just dumb or unwise but also bigoted, hateful and irrational.

This could be an example of anti-RNC propaganda given both the structure of the words, the forum and the anonymity of the speaker (of whom we have no way of verifying their claims of being an actual Republican). It wouldn’t be the first time someone tried to throw shade on a group by pretending to be a member and then doing something publicly stupid (or even to go so far as doing something criminal).

That being said, Occam’s Razor suggests that the caller was just a garden variety dumbass. However, it is important – especially when dealing with matters political – to keep another razor in mind. Heinlein’s Razor (variation of Hanlon’s Razor) goes along the lines of “Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don’t rule out malice.”

Any of you who know me to any substantive degree know that I have a very low opinion of partisan politics regardless of the perpetrator and I do not personally endorse either the RNC, the DNC or the LP. I’m not one to play apologist or cut any of them any slack whatsoever in the face of sound and Constitutional legal principle or in matters of ethics. That’s not the point of this post. The point of this post is simply to highlight what could be (reasonably) considered suspect language use within the context of political speech as potentially a (fairly subtle and sophisticated) deployment of propaganda.

Just something to think about.

4. Also, good to see you post eniobob. I know you’re always out there lurking, but it’s always a welcome sight when you choose to participate. 😀

5. Glad to see you, eniobob. Welcome home.

Agree with Gene on the motive aspect. In fact, I had thought of that Heinlein quote when I first heard about the caller. Could be political psywar, but more likely an idiot putting his shortcomings on public display. Yet, we cannot rule out malice. Oftentimes, in our current political climate, things are not always as they seem. but sometimes they are. It’s really hard to get at the truth sometimes.

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/07/right-wing-think-tanker-says-obama-should This kind of talk about Obama from the right wing is so commonplace that I have no reason to think the caller was anything but legit. They are often hanging effigies and routinely making offensive comments. Now they are marching toward impeachment of the Kenyan.

I think Gene and Chuck have it right. Hard to determine if schmuck, or propagandist, but probably schmuck is the case.

Hi eniobob.

8. Bob Kauten says:

For what it’s worth (probably the paper it’s written on), I had the exact same feeling about the wording by the caller. My psychotic insight led to suspicion. I don’t think that partisans talk about their own politics in that manner.

It could certainly be as Gene suggested, a clever misdirection. The problem for Republicans is that it’s believable. “Hoisted on your own racism”, as it were.

Campaigns of delegitimization are part and parcel of politics. Republicans used them well from swiftboating to birthers. The Obama campaign used it very well against Hillary via Bill back in 2008.

If this particular n-word comment was a plant, a ploy, a misdirection, it was brilliantly done in that very little effort was required to reap huge rewards.

10. Bob Stone says:

Ockham’s Razor, i.e. “It is pointless to do with more what can be done with less,” would suggest focusing on:

“This is about race.”

I think the reason it sounds like a joke is that a racist would never precede the use of the word “nigger” with such a qualifier; much less within a plea for moderation.

11. Bob Stone says:

Then again, I’ve heard people proudly proclaim they’re “right wing.”

So who knows.

12. eniobob says:

Hey folks.It’s true you can always come home.

eniobob,

It’s good to hear your voice again. I hope you’ve come to stay!

I will second that

15. blouise17 says:

eniobob,

🙂

16. eniobob says:

So many things,Ferguson,St Louis,recent election etc. So many things have these eyes have seen and heard,will be sharing. Hey B .

17. eniobob says:

No offense folks but Sly and The Family Stone sang about this in 1969:

18. eniobob says:

Now I will fast forward to today 3:09 pm 11/8/2014:

You just played some of my favorites, eniobob. Although, “It’s a Family Affair” is my favorite Sly Stone song.

20. eniobob says:

Thanks Swm. A smile is due .Thanks for putting up with my rant .

21. wiseguy says:

He told the truth. At least he called a spade a spade.