Iconoclastically applying Mary’s geologist handle to The Donald

By ann summers

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump greets supporters after his rally at Ladd-Peebles Stadium on August 21, 2015 in Mobile, Alabama. The Trump campaign moved tonight's rally to a larger stadium to accommodate demand. (Photo by Mark Wallheiser/Getty Images)

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump greets supporters after his rally at Ladd-Peebles Stadium on August 21, 2015 in Mobile, Alabama. The Trump campaign moved tonight’s rally to a larger stadium to accommodate demand. (Photo by Mark Wallheiser/Getty Images)

Upward Mobility: contact with celebrity affects everyone – whether it has electoral effect is questionable, Bubba’s handshake with JFK or John David Chapman come to mind, but iconographic and iconological meaning is important, like visits to Lourdes or Lenin’s tomb. In the case of Trump, WaPo has decided to give us a glimpse of the analytic, just like the paparazzi do for TMZ. And someone getting their child to receive an ex-germophobe’s touch could be miraculous. In Mariological image analysis, the study of details and to excavate their sedimented meaning is probably less useful for any Zapruder use of mass media and more like Trotsky’s icepick at Diego Rivera’s house.

The arm next to the woman in the pink hat

I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out whose arm that is. I never could.

UPDATE 2:46 pm: Mark Wallheiser,the photographer who started all of this, just called me. The arm in question belongs to the lady holding the sign. HUGE!

The most substantial damage to The Pietà (1498–1499) by Michelangelo Buonarroti occurred on May 21, 1972 (Pentecost Sunday) when a mentally disturbed geologist named Laszlo Toth walked into the chapel and attacked the sculpture with a geologist’s hammer while shouting “I am Jesus Christ, I have risen from the dead!” With fifteen blows he removed Mary’s arm at the elbow, knocked off a chunk of her nose, and chipped one of her eyelids. Onlookers took many of the pieces of marble that flew off. Later, some pieces were returned, but many were not, including Mary’s nose, which had to be reconstructed from a block cut out of her back.

This entry was posted in American History, Campaign Finance, Capitalism, Celebrity, Christianity, Conservatives, Democracy and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Iconoclastically applying Mary’s geologist handle to The Donald

1. bigfatmike says:

“UPDATE 2:46 pm: Mark Wallheiser,the photographer who started all of this, just called me. The arm in question belongs to the lady holding the sign.”

Well maybe, but only if the arm is growing out of her rib cage.

2. wordcloud9 says:

The Donald is savvy to keep his hair under his hat — look at their faces — they’d snatch him bald.

3. This was probably inevitable and we should have expected it:

4. “Babies! Not just for breakfast anymore.” – The Donald

5. That tweet I posted yesterday has been deleted. Also, cannot find the Photoshopped humorous picture on the internet, despite the fact it had gone viral. Curious. Not a violation of fair use, because the photograph was heavily Photoshopped in an original creative manner, obviously satirical, and intended to be funny.

Somebody’s funny bone was obviously not tickled, but when you have a eleven figure bank account, you can make a lot of things disappear.

6. Aridog says:

What is it with this babies & politicians thing? Never understood that. If I were running for President why would one think I want your darling little booger vault in my face? Yeah, I’m a cretin….:D

7. Aridog says:

Dang…another comment lost in the vortex of WordPoop. 😦

8. Aridog says:

Which now has mysteriously re-appeared? I must count to 10 I guess and refresh twice. Or something?

The Democrats who have approved this deal are turning their party into a party of atom bomb spies.

Those politicians who have taken money from the Iran Lobby and are signing off on a deal that will let Iran go nuclear have engaged in the worst form of treason and committed the gravest of crimes. They must know that they will be held accountable. That when Iran detonates its first bomb, their names will be on it.

10. Bron,
    Give us a break. That online rag you link to is a David Horowitz organization. On the radar of Loonwatch and Right Wing Watch, among others.

11. I hope the irony of the man’s T-shirt inscription, as he thanks the firefighters for saving his stuff, is not lost on Bron and other Ayn Rand fans.

Chuck

Know what this picture has that the Trump picture doesn’t?

Black faces.

So what? Fire fighters used to be funded by insurance companies. Protection of life and property is a legitimate function of government. You could easily have fee for service fire fighters.

Some people actually need help most can work but then there is that issue with big government regulating and taxing people to ruin.
    So less government does equal more freedom. If I want to let my house burn I should have that right.

14. Bron,
    It matters not that firefighters used to be funded by insurance companies. Barbers used to pull teeth. Irrelevant. What insurance company is going to pay out millions of dollars to round up firefighters from as far away as New Zealand to put out fires in the mountains?

That guy in the picture is a contradiction in terms. He is thanking the firefighters for saving his stuff while wearing that, “Lower Taxes+Less Government=More Freedom,” tee shirt. How much cognitive dissonance can you tolerate before finally ‘getting it’?

15. Aridog says:

All I can add to this discussion is that any firefighter is braver than I ever could be. Fire terrifies me, due to experiences long ago. You find a guy or woman who walks into the flames, I can only salute. I’d rather go to a gun fight.

16. Aridog says:

Dang…another comment consumed by the Wordpoop grue.

17. Aridog says:

Yet, even after three…yes three…refreshes I comment about the grue…and bingo the comment appears. This is one weird Word-poop place.

Less government does equal more freedom. The less you pay in taxes the more free you are. The fewer the regulations the more free you are.

I am sort of confused as to how you don’t understand that?

Government does have a place but not as big as the one we now have.

I bet you will just love a federal police force.

19. Bron,
    I’ll be you would just LOVE Somalia. Find out what a place with little or no government looks like.

20. Bron,
    Federal police force? Don’t look now, but we already have Federal law enforcement.
    FBI
    Secret Service
    US Marshal Service
    Postal Inspector service
    US Coast Guard
    Bureau of Prisons
    Customs & Border Patrol
    ……and about seventeen more.

21. Aridog says:

I’ll take responsible law enforcement anytime over anarchy. This morning in Detroit there was a sniper near I-75 & I-94 intersection and the police response was large and prompt. Hopefully they will catch the nut sooner than later….the area was sealed off and may still be as they search.

As for less government equaling more “freedom” … I’m fine with that, but not to the point where everyone can just act out selfish or demented behaviors. To me “less government” is less bureaucratic bloat at senior levels … which I have personal experience with in my last occupation with DOD. I am a nominal conservative now after decades as a Democrat…the party that abandoned me IMO.

Something that has occurred to me recently as I speak with people who advocate for affordable housing in the city…what about those who move in being provided jobs maintaining the housing? A decent place to live plus the dignity of a job enhancing it? Is that too idealistic? I’d listen to anyone who has an opinion on that.

• bigfatmike says:

“As for less government equaling more “freedom” … I’m fine with that, but not to the point where everyone can just act out selfish or demented behaviors.”

I think the problem with the ‘less government equals more freedom’ formula is that it leaves out the fact that our freedom is restricted by many forces.

Bandits and warlords restrict our freedom when they become powerful enough to overpower the government. Entrepreneurs restrict our freedom when they develop enough economic power to control the markets where we purchase essential goods.

There is no simple formula that leads on the freedom. Developing and protecting freedom is an optimization problem where minimizing one force may give strength and energy to another force. Unfortunately, finding the right balance is more art than science.

Markets do fail. We cannot depend on markets to solve all our problems. We have to compromise to balance the forces that left unattended would restrict our actions. We can only move toward maximum freedom though political calculation that attempts to resolve when government action is necessary, when markets offer reasonable solutions, and when some restriction, in fact, leads on to greater freedom.

22. Aridog says:

bigfatmike said …

Developing and protecting freedom is an optimization …

I couldn’t say it better…we’re not perfect but we can try and find a balance…which is how I’ve always viewed the USA.