Posted by Elaine Magliaro

The Chicago Tribune reported today that Governor Scott Walker of Wisconsin plans to officially enter the presidential race on July 13th with a campaign announcement in the Milwaukee suburb of Waukesha. For joy!

34hv440

SOURCE

With social media tease, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker enters 2016 race (Chicago Tribune)

This entry was posted in Campaign Finance, Conservatives, Humor, Oligarchy, Political Science, Politics, States, Tea Party, United States, Wisconsin and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Picture of the Day for July 2, 2015: On the Subject of Scott Walker Running for President

1. I. Annie says:

Ugh. Just a few miles from where I live. But Waukesha County is very conservative and I suppose they can round up at least a thousand fans, maybe.

2. I. Annie says:

Bernie Sanders rally in Madison.

3. rafflaw says:

Go Bernie!

Scott Walker is probably the most dangerous (to the country) of the whole clown show because he is completely bought and paid for by the Koch’s.

5. po says:

Scott Walker joins the long list of candidates I am NOT voting for.
    Jill Stein jumped into in the race too, for the Green party, but seems like the only place where I hear her is on Democracy Now.

Po,

The Green Party reminds me of some of the ultra-Left factions, of my ultra-Left Union in the 60’s and early 70’s. They were always talking about organizing and having all kinds of serious debates with people not strictly following their party line. In a word intolerant of other’s beliefs. They never realized that all they did WAS talk and not organize. The Green Party has been around for a while but has never really organized at the grass roots level, as was done by the “Working Families Party” in New York. They come around every four years get few votes and accomplish little.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/03/us/politics/obama-in-wisconsin-takes-on-scott-walker.html “Mr. Obama compared the recent economic performance of Wisconsin under Mr. Walker with that of its neighbor Minnesota, where Democrats have been in charge. He pointed out that Minnesota had raised taxes on the wealthy, increased the minimum wage and expanded its Medicaid program to offer health insurance to more of the needy — none of which has happened in Wisconsin. Minnesota’s unemployment rate is lower, he said, and its median income is higher.

“Minnesota’s winning this border battle,” Mr. Obama said.”

8. po says:

True, Mike, I voted for Jill Stein to make a point, which was obviously lost into the ether of mediatic blackout.
    I suspect their main point is to gain a measure of a moral victory by playing one game.
    Such ineffectiveness must be willful.

• Mike Spindell says:

Po,
      I believe it is willful and I’m too serious about the urgency of change that I have little time for those who merely like to hear themselves speak. Hateful that they are the Tea Party and the Christian Fundamentalists have organized at the local level, while the Green Party just plays the game of “Ain’t it Awful!” instead of getting their act together.

The working families party is just a way for people to vote for Dems but not on the Dem line. They aren’t organized enough to field their own candidates.

Greens do have candidates running for other offices (and have actually won a few) but you don’t hear about them because they don’t accept corporate funds, even indirectly so can’t buy time. They don’t have enough power to be bribed. I do agree, however, that if you don’t agree with everything those running the show believe, you are likely to be drummed out.

10. I see many examples of people making definitive statements towards progress or at least their own rendition of what the vista should be. The adherence to old parties and principles seems to be eroding a little.
    I am becoming hopeful, maybe it is the change in the scenery.
    Yet it does seem that I hear an undercurrent of social awareness and action in “younger people in general”.
    I am hopeful for the first time in a long time maybe….

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/13/scott-walker-eliminates-living-wage_n_7789472.html “The new law eliminates the ability of low-wage workers to appeal for a living wage. Previously, Wisconsin law stated that employee pay “shall be not less than a living wage,” defined as “adequate to permit any employee to maintain herself or himself in minimum comfort, decency, physical and moral well-being.” Wisconsin’s living wage was tied to the state minimum wage, currently $7.25 an hour.

The old law allowed residents to challenge the living wage amount with the Department of Workforce Development. Last year, 100 workers, most earning just above the minimum wage, did just that, contending their pay wasn’t a living wage. The state denied their claim, declaring “there is no reasonable cause to believe that the wages paid to the complainants are not a living wage.” The workers later filed a lawsuit against the state.

Walker, who announced his 2016 presidential campaign on Monday, also decided workers don’t need weekends off. According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the budget Walker signed “would allow factory and retail employees to work seven days without a day off, as long as they said in writing that they were doing so voluntarily.” The old law required employers to give workers at least one day off for every seven days of work.” These republican candidates keep talking about wanting people to work longer hours. That includes Jeb Bush.