Saturday Night Adrenaline Fix

by Chuck Stanley

There was some discussion in yesterday’s Word Cloud about solitude and reflection. We are tied to our gadgets almost to the exclusion of the world around us. There are escapes. Since I live in the mountains, and my ancestors lived in the Scottish Highlands, I feel a connection with those huge piles of dirt and rock. Here are some mountains and adventure, but not for the faint of heart.

One could get away by hiking the ridge of Mount Lady Macdonald Canmore, in Alberta, Canada:

For those less inclined to take long hikes, how about riding a bike?  Danny Macaskill goes home to the Scottish Isle of Skye to ride his bike on the Cuillin Ridgeline.

As for me, I prefer my mountain adventures while seated comfortably.

How do you like your adventures?  What gets the juices flowing in your life?

About Chuck Stanley

Dr. Charlton (Chuck) Stanley is a board certified forensic psychologist, with interests in aviation psychology, peace officer selection and training, ethics and communication skills.
This entry was posted in Canada, Documentrary Films, Scotland, Short Video, Sports and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Saturday Night Adrenaline Fix

1. randyjet says:

OS You know what gets me going. Any time I can get in the air is quite good enough, but doing aerobatics is the best thing of all. Then comes soaring in the mountains or any place that has good lift. Getting physically high in altitude is the best high of all, and I loved flying jets since I could get to FL 410 and in the summer it was the best of all. The sun was still in evidence at 9-10 pm while the world below was dark.

2. Anonymously Yours says:

Chuck,

Beautiful, as I awake this morning I am headed to the Carpethian Springs in the Ukraine. I will be thinking of the fabulous week I have had in Kiev and Lviv, thus far.

3. Randy,
    A factoid I did not know until yesterday. I have no excuse for not knowing, since Deke Hall was my ground instructor for my instrument rating. Deke had been out to Black Forest to soar the wave and we talked soaring several times.

The U-2 is equipped with a yaw string.

Watched a story on Mythbusters where one of the guys got a ride to FL 70+ in the two-seat U-2. Damned if there wasn’t a yaw string on the nose just in front of the windscreen.

• randyjet says:

It makes sense since the U-2 was nothing more than a glider with a jet engine. I loved how the pogo wheels on the wing tips would come off on takeoff and slide down the runway. In the USAF the U-2 ground crews would get out on the runway with a man in the back of a pick-up truck, and race alongside when it was landing and catch the wing tip before it hit the ground.

4. wordcloud9 says:

Turning off cell phones and shutting down electronic devices so you can truly concentrate on whatever you enjoy doing is something we all need to try more often.

I really look forward to doing that on our vacations, although sometimes I have to threaten to pry the cell phone out of my husband’s hand!

5. Nona,
    That is what mindfulness practice is all about. Being in the present. “I and thou in the here and now.”

Jack Downing, MD was a long time friend of mine. He told the story of his brother, who was a rock climber. Jack said his brother told him, “I am never more alive than when climbing. It’s just me and the rock face. I cannot afford to think about anything else.”

6. Randy,
    Deke had a flameout off the coast of Savannah, GA. He declared his emergency, so ATC tried to vector him to the nearest airport. Then they tried to get him to land at the nearest military field. He declined. He set a course for Tinker AFB in Oklahoma City, his home field. He glided in for a landing uneventfully. Of course, the U-2 used late 1940s glider technology, and the thing looked as it if had been designed by Schweitzer.

• randyjet says:

I don’t know why he would declare an emergency,other than to let ATC know he would be flying a bit slower than everybody else. That had to be one LONG flight back home too.

7. Randy,
    Once he got below FL 60, he needed the right-of-way over everybody and everything. All high flying traffic had to be vectored around him. He must have looked almost stationary on ATC radar, flying at VBG.

I no longer look for thrills, although I’d love to go up in balloon or take another glider ride. I loved aerobatics. Then there were a couple of glider rides that were special. In one, I was the backseat passenger in a TG-2 that flew from Endicott, NY to King of Prussia, PA over the hills of PA. Circled with hawks and watched the boron bombers putting out a lift source (forest fire). Another special memory was the fall evening ride with almost no wind, and no lift, over brightly colored trees, circling a balloon as it slowly moved down the valley. Peaceful and beautiful solitude. A natural high.

9. Moonlight Buttress had never been climbed free solo. The most expert rock climbers said it couldn’t be done. Alex Honnold did it in 90 minutes. The Ball Watch Company inducted Alex into their Explorer’s Club. He joins an elite group of adventurers.

I’ve always liked getting out on the twisty backroads on a motorcycle with good acceleration and great brakes. Never did understand why anyone would want a windshield and a radio on a bike. I can listen to whatever song is in my head and if that’s not enough I can sing as loud as I want. The bugs just keep you from getting too hungry.

11. pete,

I can kinda get behind the idea of a faring if you’re on a long road trip. They can reduce fatigue. But radios on bikes are just weird. What I find just as strange is a bike with enough saddle bags to carry a horse and pulling a mini-trailer thingy. Just give up your born to be wild and get a car at that point. You aren’t fooling anyone except maybe yourself.