Senator Claire McCaskill (D-Missouri)

Senator Claire McCaskill
(D-Missouri)

By Elaine Magliaro

Senator Claire McCaskill of Missouri was up bright and early talking with Mika Brzezinski and squinty-eyed Joe Scarborough on MSNBC this morning. Poor Claire appeared a bit miffed because she thinks that Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont is getting “a pass” from the news media. She said, “I very rarely read in any coverage of Bernie that he’s a socialist.” McCaskill said that Sanders was “too liberal” and claimed that he had an “extreme message.”

McCaskill believes that the media is “giving presidential candidate Bernie Sanders too much credit because of its hunger for a competitive primary race.” She said, “I think everybody wants a fight and they are not giving the same scrutiny to Bernie Sanders that they are giving to certainly Hillary Clinton and the other candidates.”

Brendan James (TPM) noted that Sanders had recently “received some favorable coverage from outlets like NPR and Bloomberg for his speeches…” He also noted that polls showed “nearly a quarter of likely Democratic primary voters support him in states Iowa and New Hampshire.”

The senator from Missouri argued that “Clinton’s poll numbers are so high that it’s hard to understand the media’s attitude of, ‘oh, Bernie, Bernie, Bernie!’” She added, “I think Bernie is too liberal to gather enough votes in this country to become President, and I think Hillary Clinton is gonna be a fantastic President.”

When Brzezinski pointed out that Sanders was drawing large crowds and gaining in certain polls, McCaskill responded, “Well, um, you know, Rand Paul’s father got massive crowds, Ron Paul. Pat Buchanan got massive crowds.” She continued, “It’s not unusual for someone who has an extreme message to have a following, and massive is relative.”

Ali Elkin (Bloomberg) said that “McCaskill’s read on the situation comes as two new Bloomberg polls show the Vermont senator, a self-described socialist seeking the Democratic nomination, gaining on the former secretary of state in New Hampshire and Iowa.”

McCaskill admitted that “Sanders has a message that is touching people’s frustration”—then added that Hillary Clinton did too.  She predicted that Sanders’s pitfalls would become “very clear” once the media starts treating him like a “serious candidate.”

Ben Kamisar (The Hill) noted that Bernie Sanders was “in the midst of an attempt to outflank Clinton on the left with a largely populist economic platform.” He said that Sanders has “drawn within 12 percentage points in some polls in New Hampshire and continues to gain steam, but he’s still well behind Clinton.”

Kamisar:

McCaskill believes Sanders’s liberal message puts him too far away from the center to win a general election, specifically pointing out his views on expanding entitlements and against President Obama’s signature trade deal.

Oh, yeah, Claire, do tell us more about that great “signature trade deal”—also known to many as NAFTA on steroids.

BTW, Claire, lots of us folks are aware that Bernie Sanders is a Democratic Socialist. He readily admits to being one.

McCaskill: The Media Is Giving Bernie Sanders ‘A Pass’

SOURCES

Claire McCaskill: ‘The Media Is Giving Bernie A Pass’ (TPM)

Claire McCaskill Tells the Media to Calm Down About Bernie Sanders (Bloomberg)

McCaskill: Media giving Sanders a free pass (The Hill)

This entry was posted in Media, Political Science, Politics, Short Video, Socialism, United States and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Dumbass Democratic Senator Claire McCaskill Claims That Presidential Candidate Bernie Sanders Is Getting “A Pass” from the News Media

1. blouise17 says:

This woman irritates me to no end.

One thing about Bernie is that he polls very poorly with minorities. One really needs to connect with black and hispanic voters to have much of a chance in the dem primaries. He will do well in New Hampshire and possibly in Iowa where the population is mainly anglo. He won’t do at all well in McCaskill’s Missouri. Saw a poll where Clinton received 95 percent of the non anglo vote.

3. blouise17 says:

I think Bernie wants to make sure some of his issues are in the platform.

McCaskill is kissing up. Irritating because she doesn’t have to do it.

“n January 2008, McCaskill decided to endorse Senator Barack Obama in his campaign for the Democratic nomination for the presidential elections of 2008, making her one of the first senators to do so. She was one of the most visible faces for his campaign[14] and her support was crucial to Obama’s narrow victory in the Missouri primary in February 2008. She has credited her daughter Maddie as the one who made her publicly endorse Obama.[15] She was frequently mentioned as a possible vice presidential nominee for Obama, but was never seriously considered. She spoke on the opening day of the Democratic National Convention in August 2008.” wiki I forgot that she was an Obama backer in 2008, Blouise.

blouise,

I think you’re right about Bernie. Somebody has got to bring up issues that too many in the Democratic party are afraid to because they fear losing campaign donations. I think those who show up to hear Bernie speak believe he isn’t just mouthing a political party’s talking points like most candidates

McCaskill supported Obama last time.

Actually lately Hillary is sounding more left leaning than Bernie particularly on race and guns.

I forgot that she was an Obama backer in 2008, Blouise. -SwM

Ah, so maybe she did have to do it now … kiss up to Hillary

9. blouise17 says:

Elaine,

I believe he is sincere but you know he doesn’t have the numbers. I like him but I’m with Hillary as I was in 2008.I was not an Obama supporter

I’d say all of the presidential candidates have baggage. Hillary voted for the Iraq War. She has close ties to and has taken a lot of money from Wall Street. O’Malley has gotten a lot of criticism for the “tough on crime” policies he instituted when he was mayor of Baltimore. Bernie has his gun issues.

blouise,

I know Bernie doesn’t/won’t have the numbers. That said, I believe he has struck a chord with a lot of Americans. I think he is forcing Hillary to address issues that she may have wanted to avoid. I’m not a great fan of Hillary. That said, I think she stands head and shoulders above all of the Republican presidential candidates.

Bloiuse, She would probably like an appointment. Missouri has moved to the right.

13. blouise17 says:

I’m not perfect either so I an comfortable with Hillary. I like her breadth of experience.

14. blouise17 says:

I would be happy with Bernie but he doesn’t have the experience we need.

But McCaskill just, as I said before, irritates the hell out of me. I bet she was one mean spirited prosecutor.

I like Bernie, too. I think Bernie vs Jeb would be a disaster for the democrats.The hispanic vote would go to Jeb.The black vote could very well stay home. Hiilary could provide some coattails.

Bernie is doing a good job moving Hillary’s rhetoric leftward. Of course, if elected, I don’t expect Hillary to pay much attention to her campaign rhetoric, especially the stuff most of us like.

17. blouise17 says:

True and maybe true. I am going to whisper this (she’s a bigger liberal than most suspect … Sshhh)

18. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAChoooooo!

Sorry. I’m allergic to bullshit. :mrgreen: A liberal corporatist is an oxymoron of the highest order. Just sayin’.

(Go, Bernie!)

19. blouise17 says:

You’re faking … you don’t have allergies. Besides, you’re a lawyer, and no lawyer is allergic to bullshit. I like Bernie but he can’t carry the ticket. She can

20. blouise17 says:

I really like Brown and Warren but they can’t do much better than Bernie.

My dream ticket is Sherrod Brown and Elizabeth Warren but that ain’t ever gonna happen

21. I. Annie says:

I like Sherrod Brown too, maybe he will end up on someone’s ticket.

22. Bob Kauten says:

FSM bless her, Claire is a dumbass.

Hillary? She’ll be part Bernie until the election.
    Then she’ll be Hillary.
    You know, the one that thinks Obama doesn’t interfere in the squabbles of enough tiny countries, all over the world?
    Why the hell shouldn’t we be in 50 wars at once? We can do this!

23. blouise17 says:

I. Annie
    Sherrod would be a superb VP but I don’t think he brings anyone that she doesn’t already have

24. Well . . . true. I do have allergies, just not to bullshit. As for Hillary, I’m going to go with what Bob K. said. She’ll be Bernie until it is time to go to work and then she’ll be Obama all over again. That? Is not a compliment.

25. blouise17 says:

Bob K

I draw the line at Liechtenstein

26. blouise17 says:

Gene,

No, I don’t think she’s anything like him. I really don’t. She’s far tougher

Ohio is an important state for her though, Blouise, but she might need to go with someone hispanic especially if Jeb is the nominee.

I think she is tougher too and is not as inclined to appease republicans.

29. I’m less worried about her appeasing Republicans than I am about her appeasing corporate interests and wealthy backers. In that regard, she’s every bit Obama.

30. blouise17 says:

not as inclined to appease republicans. – SwM

Not at all. They tried to destroy her family. She’s sees them for exactly who they are.

Ohio is important but the Hispanic vote is more so, you’re right

Been reading that corporate and Wall St money is now flowing to Jeb. The Kochs and Sherman Adelson won’t be supporting Hillary Clinton. Maybe Jeb could pick Scott Walker as VP.

32. blouise17 says:

Gene,

I’m not so sure of that. She’s not her husband and I doubt she wants to build a dynasty. I think she’d be more concerned about setting the right path for the first female President. However, I have a proclivity to put on rose coloured glasses.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/06/jeb-bush-2016-fundraising-money-campaign-118950.html “Still, people familiar with Bush’s fundraising said his Right to Rise super PAC had raised close to $90 million by spring, putting it on a pace to crush existing records. For example, Mitt Romney raised just over $20 million during the first half of 2011, much lower than the $50 million his strategists had hoped to pull in. And President Barack Obama raised $86 million when he ran for reelection. Hillary Clinton, who has focused on just raising primary money in $2,700 increments for her 2016 bid, is expected to report a significantly smaller haul.

It also reflects Bush’s embrace of the super PAC era, more so than any other candidate. His team has routinely asked megadonors for seven-figure contributions, and Bush’s decision to wait until June to announce his bid was largely so he could raise money for his super PAC, which he cannot do under campaign finance laws after he becomes an official candidate.”

One thing that I give Hillary a lot of credit for is talking her husband into bringing Brooksley Born into his administration. Unfortunately, the fellas didn’t like her.

*****

Brooksley Born was on the money
    Former agency chief defied the ‘big boys,’ foresaw fiscal crisis.

She became good friends with Hillary Rodham Clinton, and when Bill Clinton was elected president, Hillary Clinton invited Brooksley Born to Little Rock, Ark., to meet with the president-elect. She hoped Born would be a suitable candidate for attorney general. It was not to be, but Clinton did offer her a position on the Commodity Futures Trading Commission. In 1996, he promoted her to chairwoman.

The CFTC is, to most, an obscure agency charged with “protecting market users, and the public, from fraud, manipulation and abusive practices … related to the vast array of financial instruments.”

Born immediately noted there were approximately $70 trillion of derivatives being traded on the market without regulation or supervision and said publicly she would begin writing regulations to control the sale and accountancy of such sales.

The “big boys” — Fed Chairman Alan Greenspan, Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin, Deputy Treasury Secretary Larry Summers and Arthur Levitt, chairman of the SEC — held hands and decided to quell this disturbance from someone who “didn’t know what she was doing.”

*****

Top Clinton Aides Blew a Chance to Avert the Financial Crisis

The U.S. economy and the stock market were booming on April 21, 1998, when the heaviest hitters of the Clinton administration met to discuss a controversial topic: whether the government should regulate a profitable but risky corner of the financial markets. Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin, the former Goldman Sachs (GS) co-chairman, attended. So did his deputy, Larry Summers, and Alan Greenspan, chairman of the Federal Reserve. The meeting’s odd woman out was Brooksley Born, the little-known chairwoman of a little-known agency, the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), who exhorted her colleagues to consider regulating privately traded derivatives such as swaps contracts.

It’s no secret she lost. Her defeat that day left regulators not only powerless but clueless about the explosive growth in credit default swaps during the decade that followed, which allowed speculators to bet on an ever-rising housing market. The subsequent bust in 2008 caused the most devastating economic downturn since the Depression.

swarthmoremom,

I wonder if he’s the same Dan Loeb that I wrote about some time ago:

Who the F*ck is Dan Loeb and How Is He Connected to Teacher Pensions and School Reformers?

In April 2013, Matt Taibbi wrote the following about Loeb:

Dan Loeb…is on the board and co-founder of a group called Students First New York. And the national Students First organization has been one of the leading advocates pushing for states to abandon defined benefit plans – packages which guarantee certain retirement benefits for public workers like teachers – in favor of defined contribution plans, where the benefits are not guaranteed.

In other words, Loeb has been soliciting the retirement money of public workers, then turning right around and lobbying for those same workers to lose their benefits. He’s essentially asking workers to pay for their own disenfranchisement (with Loeb getting his two-and-twenty cut, or whatever obscene percentage of their retirement monies he will charge as a fee). If that isn’t the very definition of balls, I don’t know what is.

It’s one thing for a group like Students First to have an opinion about defined benefit plans in general, to say, as they have, that “today’s district pensions and other benefits are not sustainable and contribute to a looming fiscal crisis.” But it’s another thing for a CFO of Students First like Rebecca Sibilia to tweet the following just a few weeks before one of its state chapter board members asks for money from a fund like CalSTRS:

Outdated & underfunded #pension systems like CALSTERS break promises to #teachers#edreform #thinkED http://huff.to/15vdALJ via @HuffPostEdu

That’s a hell of a sales pitch for Loeb to be making: “I belong to an organization that thinks you’re all dinosaurs. Now give me a hundred million dollars.”

Elaine, I think so.

37. Reblogged this on Arlin Report and commented:
    Claire McCaskill…….she is the MIssouri Nancy Pelosi. Totally full of crap!